Friday, October 7, 2016

The Masks We Wear

Masks can be used for a variety of reasons. As people we don't have the ability to camouflage ourselves like some other animals. However, we often "wear masks" to protect ourselves or blend in to our environment. Everyone has a story and we don't always know what our fellow classmate is going through or dealing with on the inside or in their past. It's best to treat everyone with kindness and respect no matter how they appear on the outside. Third, fourth, and fifth grade students discussed the various types of masks that students wear: everything's perfect mask, it's alright mask, class clown mask, perfect student mask, I don't care mask. I shared my own story about why I became a counselor and how I wore the "everything's perfect mask" throughout most of my school life. I wanted to be a counselor for ALL students, no matter what mask they wore to school. The students listened to "We" by Joy Williams and then made their own masks. Some masks brought tears to my eyes and opened doors to friendships and understanding between us all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment